From NMSU Athletics
Game Twenty Three
Score: NM State 0, RV Grand Canyon 2
records: NM State (10-13, 2-8 WAC); Grand Canyon (17-10, 9-1 WAC)
Location: Phoenix, Ariz. (GCU ballpark)
PHOENIX, Ariz. – The woes in WAC play continued for NM State baseball on Friday night against Grand Canyon as the Aggies fell 2-0. Earlier in the week, Grand Canyon found itself receiving votes in the NCBWA poll as a top team nationally.
Brandon Dieter led off the game for NM State with a single and the Aggies left the bases loaded in the first inning
The Lopes got out to an early 1-0 lead in the first inning before Rorik Maltrud settled in and found his rhythm. The right-hander fanned four over six innings.
Grand Canyon added a run in the fourth inning to push their lead to 2-0, where it would stay for the remainder of the ballgame.
GCU pitchers would not allow a hit or a baserunner to the Aggies for the final three innings of the ballgame.
- The loss marked the first time NM State had been shut out in 2022.
- Brandon Dieter, Tommy Tabak, Nolan Funke, and Cal Vilalreal recorded the four hits for NM State on Friday night.
- As a team, the Aggies stuck out 15 times while only fanning four Lopes batters.
- Brendon Rodriguez and Noah Estrella combined to work a pair of scoreless innings in the contest. The duo also didn’t allow a hit.
- Logan Gallina and Edwin Martinez-Pagani both drew walks in the ballgame.
- Taking the loss, Rorik Maltrud fell to 1-2 on the season.
NM State will be back in action on Saturday against the Lopes. All of the action will be streamed on ESPN+ beginning at 6 pm from GCU Ballpark in Phoenix.
For complete coverage of NM State baseball throughout the Aggies 2022 campaign visit NMStateSports.com – the official home of Aggie athletics – and follow the Aggies on Facebook (NM State Baseball), Twitter (@NMStateBaseball) and Instagram (@NMStateBaseball).