Ledes from the Land of Enchantment

Arrested by shooting of a Farmington officer

Elias Buck, 22, was arrested in Arizona a week after he was accused of shooting dead an officer in Farmington, New Mexico.

LA PLATA COUNTY, Colorado — A man accused of shooting dead a New Mexico police officer after escaping from the La Plata County jail in southwestern Colorado was arrested Friday morning in Maricopa County, Arizona, the report said La Plata County Sheriff’s Office (LPCSO).

Shortly after midnight Jan. 14, Phoenix police received a tip that Elias Buck and Victoria “Rossi” Hernandez were at a Quiktrip store at 8004 N. 27th Avenue in Phoenix, the sheriff’s office said.

RELATED: A search is underway in southwest Colorado for a man accused of shooting a New Mexico police officer

Buck was wanted in connection with the January 7 shooting of a Farmington Police (FPD) officer during a traffic stop. That night, the officer contacted Joseph Barreto Buck because he matched the description of a driver who may have been intoxicated, according to the FPD.

FPD said during that contact, Buck fired multiple shots at the officer, hitting him, and the officer fired back before calling for help.

The injuries to 25-year-old Barreto are not life-threatening, police said.

LPCSO’s Sergeant Chris Burke said Buck is expected to be extradited to Farmington.

Below is body camera footage of the incident. The video contains graphic content and strong language which may not be suitable for all viewers.

After withdrawing the tip about Buck Friday morning, police responded to the store and located Buck, who attempted to flee but was ultimately arrested, according to the LPCSO.

Buck, who escaped from La Plata County Jail on December 27. Hernandez, who was reported to be dating Buck at the time of the shooting, was released pending an ongoing investigation, according to the sheriff’s office.

RELATED: Man fatally shot while following his own stolen vehicle

FPD leader Steve Hebbe released the following statement on Buck’s arrest.

“This is the culmination of a very emotional week for FPD. We look forward to working closely with the District Attorney as this case moves through the courts so we can achieve our goal of holding everyone involved in this incident accountable and protecting our citizens and officials.”



Comments are closed.