LAS CRUCES, NM – In a rematch of the 2021 WAC Tournament championship match, the NM State men’s tennis team earned a measure of revenge against Grand Canyon by scoring a 6-1 win over the Lopes Sunday at the NM State Tennis Center.
The victory moves the Aggies to 7-12 overall and 2-0 in WAC action.
• NM State had little trouble jumping out to a 1-0 lead after posting a dominating performance in doubles play. Martin Simecek and Itay Feigin claimed a 6-1 triumph over Wyatt Anderson and Grzegorz Rudnicki.
• Corey Clarke and Gijs Akkermans locked up the doubles point for NM State by doubling up the Lopes’ second-flight duo of Freddie Grant and Loic van Zeggelaar by a 6-3 tally.
• The Aggies’ perfect doubles day concluded with Louis Menard and Jordy Visser eking out a 7-6 victory against Mariano Argote and Martin Marujo.
• Simecek kept things going in singles play, busting up Grant by a 6-4, 6-3 tally on line two.
• The Lopes cut into the Aggies’ lead after van Zeggelaar took down Feigin 6-3, 6-3.
• With their lead down to 2-1, the Aggies used the play of Menard to increase their lead. NM State’s senior out-dueled Argote by a 6-3, 7-5 tally to push the hosts’ lead to 3-1.
• Akkermans fell behind early, but finished strong in her one-on-one matchup with Stanislas de Samucewicz. After dropping the opening set by a 7-5 score, Akkermans bounced back to win the match wins of 6-2 and 6-4 in the second and third sets respectively.
• Though Akkermans clinched the match, the teams kept playing. Like Akkermans, Clarke sputtered out of the gates before finding his footing on line three. He picked up a 6-7, 6-2, 6-3 win over Marujo to extend the hosts’ lead to 5-1.
• Visser closed out the match by storming back to claim a 6-7, 6-2, 6-4 triumph over Adrien Coulome.
COMING UP NEXT
• NM State travels to Beaumont, Texas, for two more WAC matches this coming weekend. The Aggies are set to take on Chicago State Friday on the campus of Lamar University before closing out their two-match weekend with a Saturday showdown against Seattle U.