OGDEN, UTAH – The Aggies fell 63-65 on the road in Weber State, dropping another heartbreaker. Although he scored four unanswered points to end the game, it took NM State one more shot to drop to claim victory.
Sophomore Taylor Donaldson led the Aggies in scoring for the second game in a row as she racked up 16 points for three rebounds, an assist and a steal. Bigue Sarr returned to her goals when she hit double digits for the sixth time in the 2021-22 season when she scored 12 points and added five rebounds, four of which came on offense.
· After a two-minute stalemate at the opening of the game, Bigue Sarr started with a second chance layup for both sides.
· At the 6:29 mark, the Aggies took the lead back with a stealing and a quick break and one of Tayelin Grays to increase the lead to 5-3.
The Grays layup started a 9-0 scoring run to give the Aggies an early 11-3 advantage.
Weber State then sprinted 9-3 to get two points by the end of the first quarter.
· There were four changes in the lead in the first five minutes of the second period, with Aggie’s goal coming from Deja Terrell and Molly Kaiser.
The next few minutes of play belonged to the Wildcats as the Aggies only got three points compared to their opponent’s 10 points.
However, the Aggies quickly responded with their own 7-2 scoring burst, crowned by a Kayla Watkins triple with eight seconds on the clock, to withdraw the Aggies within a break.
Former Wildcat Watkins hit a jumper later in the game and finished the game with five points on her return to the Dee Events Center.
· Before a Taylor Donaldson layup in the third quarter could untie the Aggies, the Wildcats scored six unanswered points to open a 35-28 lead at 7:38 over the period.
Weber State then put together an 8-2 scoring run over the next four minutes to take a nine-point lead in the third quarter.
· Similar to the second period, the Aggies fought their way back and defeated the home team 11: 4 in the last three minutes to go into the last period four behind.
· In the Aggie run, Donaldson scored six points to bring her total to 10, finishing in fourth place.
· The Wildcats extended their lead to eight points at 6:49 and led 53-45 when it looked like they might pull away.
The gap fluctuated by seven points until 5:17 when Donaldson and Kaiser each combined a pair of free throws against consecutive possession of the ball to reduce the lead by four points.
With 3:25 points remaining, Taylor Donaldson scored a pass from Jade Bradley to score their 15th and 16th points of the game, increasing the score to 59-63 in favor of Weber State
Playing a Bigue Sarr free throw 1:50, Tayelin Grays knocked an open triple to the ground to help the Aggies get down to just two points in 31 seconds.
The Aggies attempted to win the game after Weber State failed to convert on a pair of free throws, but a final three missed the Wildcats’ two-point win.
After the Houston Baptist Tilt is canceled, NM State will be back at the Pan American Center for a midday matchup with SAGU American Indian College. This will be the Aggies’ final pre-season test before they take on Seattle U on December 30th.
The tip for the competition next Tuesday is scheduled for 2 p.m. (MT).