ALBUQUERQUE, NM (KRQE) – Beginning December 27, 2021, the Waste Management, Parks and Recreation, and PNM division will be offering free recycling of real Christmas trees at three different locations in Albuquerque. Artificial trees are not accepted.
PNM vegetation management teams and Parks and Recreation staff will grind the trees into mulch chips, which will then be available to residents free of charge while supplies last. Trees can be returned from Monday, December 27th to Sunday, January 9th, 2022, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at the following locations:
- Montessa Park Convenience Center, 3512 Los Picaros SE, (505) 768-3930
- Eagle Rock Convenience Center, 6301 Eagle Rock NE, (505) 768-3925
- Ladera Golf Course, 3401 Ladera Dr. NW, (505) 836-4449
Those who shed trees are asked to remove all bags, tree stands, decorations, and lights before handing them in for mulching. There is a limit of five trees per inhabitant and no commercial customers are allowed.
The City of Albuquerque also accepts donations for the benefit of the Animal Welfare Department at the Eagle Rock Convenience Center. A list of items can be found on the department’s Amazon wish list. For more information on tree recycling, visit cabq.gov/solidwaste/our-department/events/treecycling or call 311.
Rio Rancho and Sandoval Counties can access Christmas tree recycling from January 1 to January 15, 2022. Those who wish to use this service are also asked to remove all decorations, stands, tree tops and tinsel.
Trees can be brought:
- Rio Rancho Sports Complex at 3501 High Resort Blvd. (Submission possible at any time)
- Sandoval County Landfill, 2708 Iris Road (drop off 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday)